Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

How very taxing

My limited understanding of the budget makes me think of taxes and thinking of taxes makes me not want to pay them. Which is why a conversation that I had in Amsterdam has stayed with me for so long. Our host had said that she didn't mind paying taxes, and if I remember correctly, about 70% of her income at that. Of course, she spoke highly of the government sponsored benefits and welfare programmes in Netherlands, in keeping with the philosophy of solidarity or shared risk. She also said how she would never bribe any government official including the police.

At another time, I was arguing (naively in retrospect) with my friend Alankar, on how privatization is not the best economic policy. I was saying that prices were regulated in government controlled service enterprises as there was no profit motive. (Here I was thinking of the example of how the Maharashtra State Electricity Board profits were used to subsidize bus fares). He was against total government ownership of such services and preferred part public and part private ownership instead. And I said grandly, but look at how cheap the train tickets are. And he said (not grandly) they are not so cheap if you add up what you pay at the ticket window and what the government pays from your taxes every year. I don't know if this is an obvious point to people out there, but to me it came as an economic epiphany of sorts.

My hesitation in indirectly and involuntarily donating money to wealthy politicians, led to the idea of a documentary about following my tax money (yes I pay taxes). It would follow me on my quest and capture the successes, failures and obstacles in the process. Also examine corruption, government expenditure and right to information laws. For example, I read about the government sanctioning Rs 2000 crore for a website which would allow you to file FIRs online. I think its a bit too much. Also politicians starting NGOs as a front to siphon off welfare aid.
I imagine the documentary would begin with a survey conducted on people from different parts of the world, asking whether they mind paying taxes and collating the responses with the level of corruption and standard of living in those countries.
Then I might gatecrash into Michael Moore-like confrontational interviews catching people off guard. Then they might kill me or put me in jail. Or not. Let's see.

Anyway this is a new documentary on corruption in Brazil which I found called Manda Bala. Not the same as my idea but tackles a lot of similar themes. And very very promising. Check out the trailer and find me the film.
Update (09.07.09): Stop Search. Vinay Shuklaji has graciously sent me the film. and more films :)

0 Whats and What nots:

Post a Comment